Tom attended Brock University and the University of Vermont, receiving an honours B.A. degree in political science from Brock University in 1985. Tom obtained his law degree from Queens University in 1988 and was called to the Bar in 1990.
After articling in Toronto, Tom returned to Niagara in 1991 joining Pylypuk & Associates and carrying on a litigation practice primarily in the areas of family and criminal law. In May 1996 Tom joined Brooks, Bielby & Smith as an associate and continues to practice family law, civil litigation and municipal law. Tom has acted as a part-time Crown Attorney for the Ministry of the Attorney General and has prosecuted cases for the Children’s Aid Society of the Niagara Region. Tom has appeared before courts and tribunals throughout Ontario including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Ontario Municipal Board and the Police Services Board.
- Member – Law Society of Upper Canada,
- Member – Welland County Law Association
- Past Director – Welland Heritage Council, Tourism of Welland Niagara
- Former Member – Area Committee for Legal Aid Ontario
- Member – Bench/Bar Committee for the Ontario Court of Justice at Welland
- Member / Board of Directors - John Howard Society of Niagara