Maria completed her undergraduate Honours Bachelor’s degree at the University of Ottawa with a major in political science with a concentration in history. Maria attended law school at the University of Western Ontario.
Maria was called to the Bar in 1994 in Ottawa. Prior to being called to the Bar, she spent two summers working as a summer student for the Ministry of the Attorney General in Godrich, Ontario, and proceeded to complete her articles at an Ottawa firm. She continued to work in Ottawa until 1995 when she moved to the Niagara Region and began working for a local firm before taking a break from practicing law to take care of family responsibilities and operate her own legal research company. Maria returned to practice of law in 2007 and, in 2009, joined Lancaster Brooks & Welch.
- Member – Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member – Lincoln County Law Association
- LSUC Lawyer Referral Service Co-operating Lawyer
- Member – Canadian Federation of University Women (former member)
- Member – Grimsby Chamber of Commerce
- Member – Lincoln Chamber of Commerce
- Member – Grimsby Rotary @ Noon
- Board Member – West Lincoln Memorial Hospital Foundation Board
- Board Member – Community Living – Grimsby, Lincoln and West Lincoln