Leanne received her Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) from Carleton University in June 1993 focusing on Law, Sociology, and Anthropology. She obtained her Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) in June 1996 from the University of Western Ontario.
Leanne was called to the Ontario Bar in 1998.
After her call to the Ontario Bar, Leanne became a Legal Consultant for the Ministry of the Attorney General at the Crown Law Office in Toronto and joined Lancaster, Mix & Welch (now Lancaster Brooks & Welch LLP) as an associate shortly thereafter. Leanne specializes in labour, employment, and sports law. Leanne acts for a variety of employers both in the private, charitable, not for profit and public sector and is experienced in the full range of employment and labour issues affecting the firm’s management clients including employment contract issues, terminations, workplace restructuring, labour relations, contract negotiation, wrongful dismissal, workplace privacy issues, occupational health and safety, policy development etc. In addition to her negotiation and counsel experience, Leanne provides assistance to our Corporate lawyers on many different corporate transactions as they relate to labour and employment matters.
Leanne also advises various national, provincial, professional and amateur sport organizations in employment, governance, athlete selection, AAP, policy matters, and contract negotiations. She has been consulted on matters regarding player contract release disputes and regularly provides advice regarding risk management.Leanne also has experience as an arbitrator in hearing sports related disputes.
Leanne received a certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution training and has received a Labour Relations Certificate through Osgoode Hall Law School, York University. Leanne continues to participate in ongoing continuing legal education frequently as a presenter.
Leanne has received the “40 under 40” and Women In Business – Business Leadership Award acknowledging her outstanding leadership.
Leanne has been an active volunteer with several communities and organizations and is involved in numerous competitive sports, both as an athlete and a coach. She was a member of a local organizing panel to establish the “Courts in the Classroom” initiative, developed in an attempt to educate the youth of our community about the justice system. She continues her efforts to educate the youth of the community through her involvement in the Brock University Sports Management/Sports Law mentoring program and has taught the Sports Law Course in the Department of Sports Management at the University.
Leanne acts as a Community Champion for the True Sport Movement in the Niagara Region. True Sport is a National Movement of communities and groups across Canada working to ensure a positive, meaningful, and enriching experience for all who participate in sport. Leanne provides leadership to the Movement by actively educating and engaging surrounding municipalities and local groups into the Movement.
- YMCA Niagara: Past Chair – Board of Directors, Chair (2007 - Present)
- YMCA Niagara: Chair – Board of Directors; Strategic planning committee, Co-Chair Strong Kids Campaign and Strong Kids Community Champion
- Brock University Board of Trustees 2013 to present
- Royal Canadian Henley Regatta (2006-Present) Volunteer Chair – Athlete Centre and Internet Café
- Canadian Henley Rowing Corporation Member (2010 – present)
- Niagara Sport Commission: Board and Executive Committee Member (2010 – 2013)
- Courts in the Classroom: Organizing Committee
- Brock University Department of Sports Management, past part-time Professor and ongoing Sports Court Mentor
- Hospice Niagara: Board Member, Chair Fundraising Committee, Member of Campaign Capital Cabinet (2005-2007)
- FISA 2010 World Masters Rowing Regatta, Organizing Committee Member and Campaign Cabinet member
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of St. Catharines: Founding Member Organizing Committee, Wine Women and Style in support of “Go Girls”
- Vanoc 2010: Committee Member, Community Task Force Torch Relay Committee
- Community Ladies Invitation Golf Tournament, Past Organizing Committee Member
- Hernder Picasso’s Foundation Golf Tournament: Organizing Committee Member
- Lincoln County Law Association: Past Executive Board Member
- True Sport: Community Champion
- Westlane Secondary School: Honour Roll Alumni
- St. Catharines Rowing Club Member (1999 – 2003)
- Law Society of Upper Canada, Member
- Lincoln County Law Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association – Ontario Member
- American Sports Lawyers Association, Member
- Sports Lawyers Association, Member
Articles from Leanne Standryk
What Clients Are Saying About Leanne Standryk
The Town of Fort Erie
The Town of Fort Erie has been associated with Lancaster Brooks and Welch for well over a decade and Ms. Leanne Standryk has been our primary counsel for more than five years. Ms. Standryk is a very thorough, competent, approachable professional. What I especially like about Ms. Standryk is her calm, reasoned approach to employment law issues and the degree to which she comes prepared for complex matters. She is a solid lawyer who is able to draw on her depth and breadth of experience and current knowledge of labour law to answer a quick phone enquiry, provide a fulsome opinion, personally brief our leadership team or steward us through a challenging termination. Ms. Standryk makes every effort to be available at our convenience and if not, someone from her team always responds in a timely manner. In short, Ms. Standryk is more than a lawyer; she is a valued strategic business partner.Tom Mather, CMM III, Manager, Employment Services | Corporate Services
Purity Zinc Metals
Leanne has been an invaluable part of our team while working through difficult labor law cases. Our company is based in the United States with a sister facility located in Ontario. Sometimes the differences between Canadian law and U.S. law can create challenges in itself. Leanne helps us more clearly understand those differences and identify sound strategies to work through them. As busy as Leanne is on any given day she is clearly very dedicated to our business which has been demonstrated by numerous late-night emails. She has a very pragmatic approach to the legal profession. Leanne always maintains a level of professionalism which keeps controversy to a minimum. She is a delight to work with.Denise Byard, Director of Human Resources