Dave went to school in Montreal, and then attended Queen’s University. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in 1975, majoring in History and Philosophy, and a Bachelor of Laws in 1978. Dave was called to the Ontario Bar in 1980, in Ottawa. In 1980 he moved to St. Catharines where he has lived and practised ever since. Dave’s legal education continues through involvement with the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Niagara Estate Planning Council, among other organizations.
Dave’s legal practice in St. Catharines started in 1980. He was a partner in the prominent St. Catharines firm of Reid McNaughton until that firm wound up in 2012, when the lawyers and staff joined Lancaster Brooks & Welch LLP.
Dave practices mainly in the areas of corporate and commercial law, commercial and residential real estate, and estate planning and administration.
Dave’s corporate and commercial practice focuses on owned-managed small and medium-sized businesses. This includes the purchase and sale of businesses, incorporation and amalgamation of companies, corporate reorganizations and succession planning.
His real estate practice involves both residential and commercial real estates, acting for buyers, sellers, borrower and lenders. He represents several large financial institutions in commercial loan transactions.
Dave has always been involved in estate planning and administration, from straight-forward wills and powers of attorney, to complicated corporate and personal tax-planned reorganizations, and trusts.
- Member- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member and Past President – Lincoln County Law Association
- Member and Past President – Kiwanis Club of St. Catharines, and Chair of the Kiwanis Club of St. Catharines Charitable Trust
- Past President – St. Catharines District Council of Scouts Canada
- Past Director – United Way of St. Catharines & District
- Member, Secretary and Past President – Niagara Estate Planning Council
- Member and Past President – Carousel Players and Director – Carousel Players
- Member – Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member and Past Director – Dalhousie Yacht Club