Lancaster Brooks & Welch LLP are Niagara’s Lawyers since 1882, and we are proud to be a part of this community. We are very proud of the staff that are a part of the LBW family. We enjoy and appreciate the skills and talents of seasoned administrative professionals, including legal clerks, legal assistants, and administrative and accounting staff. We are rewarded by the long tenure of staff working within our legal teams, many in excess of 15 years.
We work hard, and help each other. Our admin teams dig in and do great work supporting the lawyers and clients at LBW.
If you think you are up to the task and wish to join the winning team at LBW – please go to our current positions to apply for a role.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals and will provide accommodations in line with the AODA and HRC throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Administrative Positions:
Senior Estates Administration Law Clerk
This role is for an experienced estates clerk only.
The primary purpose of the Estates Administration Law Clerk is to provide knowledgeable and skilled assistance to the lawyers in the Estates Administration & Planning group with the day-to-day tasks relating to estate matters, including (but not limited to): assisting clients in managing and administering estates, trusts, guardianships and property held by an attorney for property; preparing and maintaining accounts in court format for estates, trusts, guardianship and attorneys for property; assisting in passing of accounts; and reviewing estate/trust/guardian/attorney accounts.
Required Qualifications & Education
- Post-secondary education with a Law Clerk designation.
- Specialized knowledge of accounting procedures, legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- Thorough understanding of financial statements, tax returns and their preparation.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of estates experience as a Law Clerk is required.
- Proficient with legal software and MS Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- A willingness to learn and pick up new skills is essential.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently and within tight timelines.
- Ability to multi-task and balance the priorities assigned.
- Ability to take initiative and be resourceful.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an excellent team player.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
- Excellent attention to detail and diligent proofreading skills.
- Passionate about providing quality service and work product to clients.
- Organizing and managing files assigned as well as being responsible for ensuring deadlines are met by the Estates Administration & Planning group.
- Overseeing the administrative aspect of the estates administration practice to ensure work is completed in a timely manner and in the most efficient way.
- Locating and valuing estate assets and calculating tax.
- Preparing and drafting court documents required for various forms of Certificates of Appointment.
- Serving parties and filing materials with the Court and/or determine who can administer estates without probate.
- Communicating with estates Courts in all jurisdictions for probate applications.
- Searching for previously issued probate matters.
- Corresponding with clients regarding various steps in actions, including meeting with clients to review documents.
- Ensuring tickler dates are in all relevant calendars, systems and status lists and following up on the same.
- Conducting estate and trust account analysis and estate administration.
- Completing docketing, accounting and administrative duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time employment
Salary: Competitive Salary
To Apply for this Job: Apply by sending email to us at email@example.com