Lancaster Brooks & Welch LLP are Niagara’s Lawyers since 1882, and we are proud to be a part of this community. We are very proud of the staff that are a part of the LBW family. We enjoy and appreciate the skills and talents of seasoned administrative professionals, including legal clerks, legal assistants, and administrative and accounting staff. We are rewarded by the long tenure of staff working within our legal teams, many in excess of 15 years.
We work hard, and help each other. Our admin teams dig in and do great work supporting the lawyers and clients at LBW.
If you think you are up to the task and wish to join the winning team at LBW – please go to our current positions to apply for a role.
Open Administrative Positions:
We are looking for a talented HR administrative, and operational support person to work in our St Catharines office
This role’s responsibilities include support to the Firm Administrator, special project work and coordination, operational support, HR duties such as support in hiring and onboarding; and business office duties.
The successful candidate must have the following abilities and/or qualifications:
At least 3 years’ experience in a similar role where experience in payroll and benefits administration are demonstrated.;
Experience in HR matters would be considered an asset;
Detail-oriented with outstanding organizational skills;
Facilitating process administration such as recruitment and onboarding processes;
Research and maintain legal learning curriculum and track ongoing learning course requirements;
Vendor relations, managing, negotiating and communicating with suppliers. Maintaining accurate order records;
Outstanding customer service;
Diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and exhibit time management in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Professionalism is a must, with close attention to detail in task completion;
- Work cohesively and professionally with co-workers and supervisors;
- Computer skills (high proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, Knowledge of Ceridian payroll systems not required but considered an asset);
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating the administrative operation of the department, including managing and maintaining a filing system, assessing requests for information, developing internal office practices, systems and procedures for efficient recording, storage and retrieval of department information;
- Accurate and timely time recording of attendance, (OT, banked time, vacation and personal time) as it relates to payroll;
- Accurate and recording of requests and changes to benefits;
- Proven experience in overseeing and working within the operating budget for the department and develop appropriate systems for managing and tracking budgets, reconciling accounts, oversee online purchasing processing, reimbursements preparing financial reports and providing statistical analysis;
- Experience in administering and coordinating the recruitment process for staff and associates and facilitating onboarding for lawyers and staff;
- High proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet applications is required to develop statistical reports and to create correspondence and reports;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective team-member; strong time management skills, ability to multi-task and flexibility are required to effectively prioritize and ensure completion of assigned work, to change priorities as the need arises and to work overtime as required by the demands of the position;
- Thoughtful approach to problem solving and consideration for implications or potential recommendations when presented with unplanned challenges by staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required to compose letters, notices and correspondence to lawyers, staff, and external suppliers;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, diplomacy, confidentiality, sensitivity and demonstrated professionalism are required to facilitate resolution to issues.
Expressions of interest may be sent with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org , no agencies please.
Wills & POA Legal Assistant
If you possess experience in this area of the law, superior communication skills, excellent word processing skills, strong interpersonal and organization skills and are able to work independently, we have an excellent opportunity for you.
This position will appeal to individuals who have completed a legal assistant/law clerk program and wish to challenge their knowledge and capabilities while advancing heir career in an open and stimulating work environment.
Role duties include but limited to:
Tracking status of Wills
Maintain Wills Vault
Wills and POA retrieval
Wills and POA drafting and editing
Data base management of Wills & POA
Familiarity with Wills and POA software is considered an asset.
Qualified candidates please email your cover letter, resume, and references, in confidence, to us at email@example.com, quoting Wills & POA Legal Assistant in the subject line of your email.
Job Type: Full-Time Salary: Competitive
Senior Estates Administration Law Clerk
This role is for an experienced estates clerk only.
The primary purpose of the Estates Administration Law Clerk is to provide knowledgeable and skilled assistance to the lawyers in the Estates Administration & Planning group with the day-to-day tasks relating to estate matters, including (but not limited to): assisting clients in managing and administering estates, trusts, guardianships and property held by an attorney for property; preparing and maintaining accounts in court format for estates, trusts, guardianships and attorneys for property; assisting in passing of accounts; and reviewing estate/trust/guardian/attorney accounts.
Required Qualifications & Education
- Post-secondary education with a Law Clerk designation.
- Specialized knowledge of accounting procedures, legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- Thorough understanding of financial statements, tax returns and their preparation.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of estates experience as a Law Clerk is required.
- Proficient with legal software and MS Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- A willingness to learn and pick up new skills is essential.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently and within tight timelines.
- Ability to multi-task and balance the priorities assigned.
- Ability to take initiative and be resourceful.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an excellent team player.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
- Excellent attention to detail and diligent proofreading skills.
- Passionate about providing quality service and work product to clients.
- Organizing and managing files assigned as well as being responsible for ensuring deadlines are met by the Estates Administration & Planning group.
- Overseeing the administrative aspect of the estates administration practice to ensure work is completed in a timely manner and in the most efficient way.
- Locating and valuing estate assets and calculating tax.
- Preparing and drafting court documents required for various forms of Certificates of Appointment.
- Serving parties and filing materials with the Court and/or determine who can administer estates without probate.
- Communicating with estates Courts in all jurisdictions for probate applications.
- Searching for previously issued probate matters.
- Corresponding with clients regarding various steps in actions, including meeting with clients to review documents.
- Ensuring tickler dates are in all relevant calendars, systems and status lists and following up on the same.
- Conducting estate and trust account analysis and estate administration.
- Completing docketing, accounting and administrative duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time employment
Salary: Competitive Salary
To Apply for this Job: Apply by sending email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org